CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Praying for Healing

A family in Wisconsin believed that through prayer alone, their daughter could be healed. They engaged others to pray with them and this went on for weeks while their daughter slowly wasted away, dying from a treatable condition. I read that the parents believed that their daughter died because they did not have "enough" faith. Sweet Jesus!

When is negligence, negligence? I believe in prayer too. However, I also believe that God has designed our progress in the world--such as advances in technology and medicine. Many physicians and nurses are Christians who really believe. I work with a group of nurses that while very human and real, they are believers in Christ like no other. While I don't discount that miracles through prayer exist, I do believe God has given us miracles in the form of treatments for various conditions that people would have easily died from in the past. I believe God blessed those researchers who formulated insulin and diabetic treatments. Perhaps that lovely child would be alive today if her parents did have more faith.

As a mother, it is hard for me to relate. I don't think God punishes our children for our lack of faith or indiscretions. He judges each of us individually. If it were my child, I imagine I would pray continuously while seeking every treatment on this earth that the Lord may have created for my child. After I had exhausted all of the options, I would know that the Lord was calling her home for his own reason, his own plan...and I would struggle with it but hopefully be comforted by knowing this.

While the daughter was certainly not being punished for her parent's lack of faith, I do hope that her parent's are punished on earth for their lack of faith...faith in others. God works in relationships and through others every day! The extent of their punishment will be decided in a court of law...and I am sure it won't be too extreme as they certainly did not intend for their daughter to die...but negligence is negligence no matter how you look at it.

Sweet Jesus,

I pray that you comfort all of us who are struggling
with the death of this young girl. We believe in you and have faith.
I pray that you comfort her parents and help them to see the error in their
ways. I am certain that they are suffering miserably for their error and I
hope you can help them see your love for them, even through this tragedy.
Bless me today to be productive and kind. Blanket me with the Holy Spirit
so that your light can shine through me. I pray for peace in my heart,
peace in my home, and peace in the world. Amen.

1 comments:

About Nancy said...

Well said Nicole. I too am a nurse and have seen it all. Thank you for sharing!
In Him,
Nancy